- Assistant Benefits Administrator
- Go to our website »
Thank you for considering The Research Foundation for SUNY in your search.
About The Research Foundation for SUNY:
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RF) is the largest comprehensive university-connected research foundation in the country.
Our mission is to provide talent, services, and technology that empower SUNY to research, innovate, and transfer discoveries that transform the world's knowledge economy.
Our vision is to make SUNY the best place for faculty, students, and staff to research, innovate and solve the world's most pressing problems.
The RF serves SUNY by providing essential administrative services that enable SUNY faculty to focus their efforts on the education of students and the performance of life-changing research across a wide range of disciplines including medicine, engineering, physical sciences, energy, computer science, and social sciences. We work with the academic and business leadership of SUNY campuses to support research and discovery through the administration of sponsored projects and technology transfer and management of intellectual property for public benefit and economic growth.
The RF is committed to diversity, inclusion, and a working environment that enhances productivity creates personal and professional opportunities, unleashes everyone's full potential, and fuels innovation. We hold the organization and each other to the highest standards of integrity, accountability, and ethical behavior.
Visit www.rfsuny.org and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Learn about SUNY at www.suny.edu.
FUNCTION AND SCOPE
Reporting to the Benefits Administrator, the Assistant Benefits Administrator manages the NYS Disability and the NYS Paid Leave claims process, ensuring employees' benefits information is accurate, the extension of benefits under various State and Federal laws, retiree health insurance administration, disability plan administration, while working within Research Foundation policy guidelines and in compliance with legal requirements. This position provides outstanding customer service to campus administrators at 32 decentralized RF operating units located on SUNY campuses across the state and interacts with campus and central office administrators, benefit providers, and employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the oversight and management of the New York State Disability/Paid Family Leave/Voluntary Disability/Workers' Compensation /LTD claims process for the Research Foundation employees, including:
- Verification of eligibility
- Continuation of benefits
- Act as a liaison between the carrier and campus constituents to make certain leaves are administered in a fair and equitable way that satisfies federal and state regulations as well as the parameters set forth by the enterprise.
- Provide consultation to campus partners and employees on navigating the leave process in a way that is specific to the individual's needs. This includes planning, directing, and implementing leave processes.
- Troubleshoot campus dilemmas that surface surrounding the topic of leaves.
- Documentation management of all leaves taken by RF employees.
- Audit all Paid Family Leave payments that are made to The Research Foundation for accuracy in the amount and dates paid.
- Design, coordinate, and provide effective campus training on leave administration in coordination with New York State Disability, Paid Family Leave, Long term disability, and Workers' Compensation
- Designs, coordinates, and manages effective campus training on leave administration, the HRIS Benefits module, enrollment processes, and COBRA administration
- Apply Research Foundation benefit policy and procedures, plan documents, contracts, and government regulations (i.e. HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, ACA, etc.) when corresponding and assisting Campus Benefits Administrators, benefit providers, and employees in connection to benefits while on leave. This includes billing employees while on leave as well as during unique situations (COVID-19 unpaid leaves).
- Designs coordinates and manages campus orientations on a needed basis
- Conduct the daily operations of the HRIS benefits module, including life event evaluation and processing, analysis of benefits reports and files for accuracy of records, troubleshooting system problems, and recommending solutions to the Benefits Administrator
- Assists in the development and maintenance of internal controls, administrative procedures, and desktop manuals for the function.
- Generate reports to ensure benefits records are accurate
- Interact with benefits vendors on the day-to-day administration of all plans, including claims and eligibility resolution.
- Represents the benefits unit, when appropriate, to internal and external customers, including subject matter experts and campus focus groups.
- Work with a third-party vendor to administer COBRA for termed employees as well as employees who transition from Long Term Disability
- Administer employee benefits programs such as group health insurance, dental, life, and medical reimbursement.
- Handle employee and campus benefit inquiries to ensure quick, equitable, and courteous resolutions.
- Process employee benefits enrollment and changes forms within required time limits to meet payroll deadlines.
- Assist with the coordination of the annual open enrollment process
- Processes employee and dependent life insurance claims with the life insurance carrier
- Provides courteous customer service to campus contacts and retirees
- Other duties as assigned
- Background in benefits administration and knowledge of PC-based applications.
- Strong decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish good customer service relationships.
- Bachelor's degree in the appropriate field plus 1-2 years benefits administration experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with an HRIS system is required, working knowledge of Oracle preferred
- Must have the ability to multi-task and demonstrate follow-through to achieve desired results and objectives.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy-related conditions, reproductive health decisions, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, familial status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, prior arrest or conviction record, genetic characteristics/genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, military status or service, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state or local law. The Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
The Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Research Foundation for the State University of New York is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the Research Foundation for the State University of New York are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. The Research Foundation for the State University of New York operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding.
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents here:
2. Cover Letter
After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages enable you to upload your cover letter and additional documents.
Returning Applicants - Login to your RF SUNY Careers Account to review your application.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency